Professional teeth cleanings are an essential part of good oral health care at every age and should be carried out every six months. Ingleside Family Dental in Ladson, SC, treats patients of all ages and is dedicated to helping you maintain healthy teeth and gums for a lifetime.
Everything That Happens During A Teeth Cleaning
A teeth cleaning may seem like a quick and perfunctory appointment, but everything that happens during this dental visit is an essential component to help maintain your oral health.
- Thorough cleaning: No one gets your teeth cleaner than a dental hygienist, who has the tools and the view to remove plaque and tartar from all the tough-to-reach spots. After a thorough flossing, teeth are polished to a high shine.
- Examination: Your Ladson dentist will evaluate your entire mouth in a comprehensive exam to check for signs of tooth decay, gum disease, gum recession, and other problems. Addressing oral health concerns early will save you time, expense, and pain in the future.
- Oral cancer screening: Your dentist will review all the tissues in your mouth for early signs of oral cancer, which are difficult for the untrained eye to see. Expect a review of your tongue, lips, cheeks, palate, neck, and throat using technology like the VELscope®, an intraoral screening tool that detects oral health issues invisible to the naked eye.
- Consultation: You have your dentist’s undivided attention. Now is the time to discuss any questions you have about cosmetic dentistry, how to improve your smile, potential treatments that will work for you, and more.
- X-rays: Typically taken once a year, per most insurance plans, x-rays show your dentist what’s going on under the surface of your teeth so any developing problems can be identified before they develop into serious pain.
- Fluoride treatments: Children receive a fluoride treatment at every six-month appointment to help protect their teeth from developing cavities. Adults can also request a fluoride treatment or rinse.
Benefits Of A Professional Teeth Cleaning
You may be truly dedicated to brushing twice a day and flossing at least once daily, but even this routine isn’t enough to keep your teeth and gums truly healthy.
- Your hygienist can reach what you can’t. No one can successfully clean every single nook in their mouth, but a dental hygienist can do it for you and scrape away buildup you simply can’t get to.
- Identify gum disease early. Nearly half of all adults in America have some form of gum disease, but people don’t often recognize the symptoms until the disease has progressed and started to cause real trouble. Consistently visiting your dentist for a teeth cleaning ensures that gingivitis is caught early before receding gums, tooth loss, and other oral and systemic health risks develop.
- You’re always ready for cosmetic dentistry. When you keep your teeth healthy and clean, they are always ready for an upgrade because the foundation of your smile is strong. Want teeth whitening, veneers, Invisalign? If you see your dentist every six months and follow her advice, there’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to upgrade your smile when you’re ready.
Teeth Cleaning Cost Factors
Most dental offices have first-time patient specials for teeth cleanings, an especially great value if you are paying out of pocket.
The cost of each teeth cleaning, whether you are paying using dental insurance or out of pocket, includes the following services:
- Teeth cleaning
- Comprehensive dental exam
- Personal consultation with the dentist
- Gum disease screening
- Oral cancer screening
- Necessary bitewing x-rays
- Bite analysis
Get A Dental Cleaning In Ladson, SC
Ready to schedule a teeth cleaning with Ingleside Family Dental? Contact our dental office in Ladson, South Carolina, to make an appointment for you or a member of your family. We serve patients at all ages and stages of life – our priority is to help you establish and maintain healthy teeth for a lifetime.