Among the millions of adults with missing teeth, many choose to fill the holes in their smile with dental implants. Strong, stable, and permanent, this restorative dentistry solution replaces not only the missing tooth but its root as well. Form and function are restored simultaneously so you can bite, chew, speak, and smile confidently once again. We offer dental implants as an advanced dental restoration at Ingleside Family Dental in Ladson, SC.
Components of a Dental Implant
The dental implant procedure takes time and patience as the repair is carried out over several dental visits with significant healing time in between. Each dental implant is made of three equally integral parts:
- Post: The dental implant post is made of titanium, a biocompatible metal that can be tolerated by nearly every patient. The post is surgically implanted under the gumline into the jawbone. Through a process known as osseointegration, the post fuses to the bone and takes the place of the missing tooth root.
- Abutment: There is a small piece of metal known as the abutment that is attached to the implant post at the time of the initial surgery. The abutment is slightly visible above the gumline and the prosthetic tooth will eventually be attached to it.
- Prosthesis: A porcelain crown is shaped and shaded to look like the rest of your teeth and eventually attached to the abutment once the healing process is complete. The result is a durable, natural-looking restoration that looks natural and is secure.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
For anyone who has been living with multiple missing teeth, uncomfortable dentures, or even just one embarrassing missing tooth, the benefits of dental implants are incredible. This solution delivers both cosmetic and restorative benefits to the patient:
- Look better: A broken-down smile doesn’t look good. Filling in the gaps in your smile with natural-looking teeth helps you look healthy and more attractive.
- Be more confident: When you’re missing teeth, self-esteem takes a major hit. Completing your smile boosts your confidence significantly.
- Prevent bone loss: When a tooth and its root are no longer in the mouth and stimulating the jawbone, the bone will recede over time and alter your appearance. The implant, though, stimulates the jawbone and stops the loss of bone density.
- Low-maintenance: There is no special upkeep required for dental implants. Brush and floss every day as usual and see your Ladson dentist every six months for a dental exam and teeth cleaning. Easy.
Cost Factors for Dental Implants
A high-end, in-depth restorative dentistry treatment, dental implants are customized to every patient, which means cost factors will vary but will typically include the following:
- Number of dental implants
- Location of implants
- Whether bone grafts are needed
- Materials used
- Location of the dental practice
At Ingleside Family Dental, we accept various forms of payment for restorative dentistry, including dental insurance and health savings accounts. We also participate in CareCredit, which offers low-interest financing and budget-friendly payment plans.
Are You a Good Candidate for Dental Implants?
Most people with missing teeth are a good candidate for dental implants, but it is necessary to have a strong jawbone and healthy gums for this restoration to be a possibility. Some patients are missing teeth because of gum disease, and this problem needs to be cleared up before any other fixes can occur. For some patients, the location of their missing teeth, their overall oral health, or their budget will have them looking toward other tooth replacement options like a dental bridge or dentures.
The only way to know if you’re a good candidate for dental implants is to schedule a consultation with the dental team at Ingleside Family Dental in Ladson, SC. Contact us for an appointment and get on the road to a new, complete smile.